Sunday, June 2, 2013

Dumpster Diving

It is seen as a sad thing when a 3 year old knows what dumpster diving is.  Or that said 3 year old thinks that every time you slow down to flip a u-turn or just pull over that it's because there is great treasure on the side of the road.  "Are we dumpster diving?!" she screams from the back seat.  It could be seen as sad, I see it as awesome!  I'm sure that there will come a day when my thrifty (okay, cheap) ways will embarrass the crap outta my kids, but right now they think it's cool to find something that someone doesn't need and make it work for us.  Breath new life into it.  Or get it home, see why it was at the curb in the first place and toss it back out with the trash.  Either one.

I have found some great finds this way.  Like the baby swing that retails for $180 and was out with the trash because it needed, get this, BATTERIES.  But one of my favorite finds is a full size antique headboard and foot board.  The detail is amazing. There are posts and beautiful feet.  And we don't need a full size bed.  "But isn't it pretty? And why don't we add on to the house to make it fit somewhere.  We don't need a place to watch tv or live and move around, we NEED this bed assembled.  Pronto."  I am itching to make it work somewhere.  For now, it sits in my shed.  Safe from the next garbage truck to come along.

*Pictures to come*

No comments:

Post a Comment